The West Pittston Library was founded on September 12th, 1873. The library has had a few different locations before moving to its current location on Exeter Avenue in 1922.
What started with two shelves of books has grown to nearly 40,000 items including : books, movies, periodicals, games, and reference materials. And, let’s not forget, 24,000 digital items including: e-books, newspaper archives, and research databases. We also offer public-use computers, iPads, and copying and faxing services.
Our programming is unsurpassed and our staff makes learning fun! From technology to crafts, our adult patrons enjoy learning a new skill in a welcoming environment. Kindergarten Readiness and STEM programs entertain while educating our younger patrons while introducing them to the library.
Our community partnerships include the services of all ten county libraries and their branches through the Luzerne County Library System. We host blood drives with the American Red Cross, local historical society events, and author talks. We work with schools and daycares, local officials and businesses.
150 years, and we’re still growing! Ahead of us are exciting opportunities, and, as always, we invite you to grow with us.
Just some of our locations over the years: